Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, April 12, 2017

It's That Time Again!!


Yesterdays sunshine was needed! Today, we have rain again! But, this is BC and we do get a lot of rain. Looking around I noticed all the little flowers and plants springing up, the grass is green, spring is here...even though some days you wouldn't know it.
Anyway, I started thinking about my garden plans for this year and I'm starting a bit later than I hoped. I wanted to share what I'll be planting this year, all organic of course.

April is usually the time people start their seeds inside...I need to head downtown to get my dirt and dirt pods to get more going. Last year I had some great little plants springing up in my kitchen. This year I have a lot of choices and still have to work on building a nice garden bed outside when it's time to plant outdoors. I really love all the pallet ideas for garden beds and furniture that you can find online so hopefully I can put something together fairly soon. (When it's not raining)

Today I'm going through my seeds from last year and all my new packages too. Last year I put them in a jewelery/beading container that worked perfectly.  I have zucchini, lettuce, tomatoes, cilantro, squash, bell peppers, cucumbers, basil, watermelon, bush beans, snow peas, carrots, radishes, etc. to grow this year. I'm super excited growing my own food and I hope this year is a better year for it. I seem to get a lot of direct sunlight that burned out some of my garden last year. So I'll have to work on that.

I'm always confused when it comes to knowing when to plant what. So here's a bit of a guideline that I try to follow. These should be started in April indoors.


Agastache (before April 15th)
Asparagus
Basil
Cauliflower
Celery
Chrysanthemum
Eggplant
Lobelia (before April 15th)
Marjoram
Melons (in the last two weeks of April)
Oregano
Peppers (before April 10th)
Rosemary
Sage
Stevia
Thyme
Tomatoes (before April 15th)



Begin direct sowing in April:
Arugula
Bergamot
Borage
Broad Beans
Beets (after the 15th, or later)
Broccoli
Cabbage
Calendula
California Poppies
Carrots
Catnip
Celosia
Chamomile
Chives (after the 15th)
Cilantro
Clarkia
Cleome
Coreopsis
Corn Salad
Cornflowers
Cosmidium
Cosmos
Delphinium
Digitalis
Endive & Radicchio
Fennel
Gaillardia (after the 15th)
Gaura
Gypsophila
Iberis (after the 15th)
Kale & Collards
Kohlrabi
Lavatera
Lavender
Leeks
Lemon Balm
Lettuce
Lovage (mid-April)
Lupins (before the 15th)
Marigolds
Morning Glory
Mustard Greens
Nasturtiums (after the 7th)
Nemophila
Nigella
Onions (storage onions & scallions)
Pac Choi & Choi Sum
Parsley (after the 15th)
Parsnips
Peas
Phacelia
Poppies
Radishes
Rudbeckia
Scabiosa
Spinach
Sunflowers (after the 15th)
Sweet Peas
Swiss Chard (after the 15th)
Turnips
Wildflowers
Zinnias

Here's a great site I found explaining more with gardening and for each month: http://www.paddocks-allotments.org.uk/month-by-month/april/sow.htm

This was short but sweet! Happy gardening! 

I'd love to hear some feedback from others who enjoy gardening. What tips and tricks do you have for growing a beautiful garden? Please leave me some comments on how your garden grows. :)

And for some great gardening and home decor items, check out Amazon! I love ordering from the comfort of my home! Makes my busy days easier and I look forward to getting parcels in the mail lol

No comments:

Post a Comment